Have you seen Dr Lily Chao? She is a trainee doctor in the TV series Casualty. For an easy-reading introduction, with pictures, see Dr Chao. The actress is not as scary as her on-screen persona.
“The BBC have described Lily as an intelligent, logical, high-achiever who comes from a hard-working family that like to boast about their doctor daughter, but have never really told her they are proud of her.” For more about her, see Wikipedia .
Dispite all the trouble that Dr Ashford, her mentor, has had with her, he has asked for her to be kept on at the Casualty unit.
Is Formula 1 going green?
This year things have changed more than usual. Under the 2014 rules there is a fuel limit. Cars are using hybrid technology, which helps them to work within that fuel limit. An electric motor helps to slow the car when braking, which generates electricity to be stored in a battery and re-used when accelerating. This makes the cars more responsive when accelerating and saves fuel. Less fuel means less weight, which saves more fuel.
The Red Bull team has won the past 4 years’ Constructor’s Championship titles, but this year Mercedes is leading. Here is a video explaining the secret of their success. Don’t worry if you do not understand everything very well. It is not all that easy to follow.
Lap times are not quite as good as they were last year. After the Australian race, though, the Mercedes director said, ‘These cars are going to go quicker than the old ones in a couple of races’ .
- Have you heard of Richard Branson? If not, see Who is he?
- To find out whether he has Asperger’s Syndrome, see Does he? .
- To read his life story in brief click on: Biography .
His achievements are legendary.
People with Asperger’s tend to be unconventional. This can sometimes be an advantage. Richard Branson has defied convention in quite a few ways, often with considerable success. Here are some examples:
- His first company Virgin Records had a spin off record label, Caroline Records. The first release under this label was Tubular Bells by Mike Oldfield.
- His company Virgin Atlantic managed to break the monopoly that British Airways had on trans-Atlantic services.
- Virgin is working on a low carbon fuel for jet aeroplanes.
- Would you believe it, a glass bottomed aeroplane ?
- His company Virgin Trains introduced Pendolino technology to allow trains go more quickly. See Video for a demonstration of the way it handles curves in the track. As the Pendolino article explains, things did not quite go according to plan, though.
Of course, there are always disadvantages of being on the Autistic Spectrum. For a more every-day kind of story you might like to try Have You Seen on Roy Cropper.
Have you heard of the word Yuppie? It stands for young urban professional and it came widely into use in the 1980’s. This was the time when Margaret Thatcher was prime minister. It was a time of deregulation and open markets. It was a time of opportunity to make something of your life, after decades in what you might call the shadow of post war austerity, or government cut backs.
For a brief introduction to his career, see Bryan Adams .
To find out about Margaret Thatcher, see June 2014.