What Does Autism Spectrum Disorder Look Like in Adults? Click icon for a readable article.
CANadda is a Lincoln based support group for adults on the Autism Spectrum and associated conditions. Hover over icons / pictures to identify links.
See also: Canadda events Newsletters
Publicity Discussion login to view.
Based in Birchwood shopping centre, Lincoln has a range of support initiatives, including: See map 01522 697587
- IT Courses ranging from Computers for Beginners to ECDL
- Access to Computer facilities
- Support with basic skills (Maths & English)
- Programme to help overcome barriers to employment, issues relating to health, housing, homelessness, debt, parenting etc.
- Project supporting individuals and families with essential items such as food, clothing, and cooking equipment.
The National Autistic Society website has several pages aimed at adults with autism or Asperger’s syndrome, including one on social skills. Click on the icon to see. If you cannot find what you want on their website you can ask them questions for free. For more information click on: Help & advice . Click 0800 & 0808 numbers to see when the helpline is free. They also have another set of pages for adults called Getting older.
Aspergers Central says it, Is a Facebook community focused on providing great information to our members & a platform where everyone can talk and help one another.
The National Autistic Society offers a step by step guide to adult diagnosis. Click icon to see it. They recommend taking details of local services to your–GP. They have details of 2 options in Lincolnshire.
- Kirkland Psychology in Shrewsbury but can work nationwide. Takes GP referrals, though they mention a cost. See also NHS referrals.
- Spectrum Psychology in Lincoln takes private clients only.
- The National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) launched their guidelines cover recognising, referring and diagnosing autism in adults in June 2012. NICE–also produce pathways in the form of diagrams. Click boxes to see accompanying notes. The diagram link shows the kind of thing you might mention to your GP when asking for a referral.
- Age limits for paediatric services seem to vary from hospital to hospital from 12 – 15 according to this report.
People with high functioning Asperger’s syndrome may have well developed rational skills. This could be valuable to help cope with the challenges of life. It may be that they could benefit from talking through the way they perceive some things. This is where Cognitive Behavioural Therapy might come in.
It could take time to establish the credibility of this approach in your own mind. It may also take a while to find a therapist that can connect effectively.
Steps2change is a free and confidential NHS service for anyone in Lincolnshire over the age of 16 who is feeling stressed, unhappy, depressed, sad, worried or anxious. Click icon above for more information. Find access information for year area, e.g. Grantham
- Lindum Counselling and Lindum Listening Ears, based in Lincoln, offer a free counselling service for children and adults. See details.
- Alternatively, the Counseling Directory can put you in touch will qualified counsellors in the Grantham area, or elsewhere, with expertise in Autism.
- Perhaps the most relevant pages under Associated conditions might be: Not getting out Fatigue Sensory sensitivity
- Adults on the autistic spectrum may sometimes get into scrapes with the law. See Behaviour and scroll down to Autism and the law.
Psychology, psychiatry and psychotherapy: NHS
Please be aware that we, at GAIN, are not qualified to give advice. See disclaimer.