Money (16+)

See Support for carers about Carer’s Allowance for carers of adults.

Welfare benefits

Carers FIRST is the new name for Carers connect.        Click icon for their welfare benefits page.        More broadly, to find out what Carers FIRST has to offer and how it fits in with Lincolnshire Carers Service see Resources.

Official information

Lincolnshire County Council publish information on benefits and finance in their Family Services Directory.       PIP-for-ages-16—64  – see also below.         Money-Advice

Benefits news

  • Inquiry into disability benefits, led by Frank Field, ‘deluged’ by tales of despair.           Several themes emerge from the testimony heard by the work and pensions committee.           See article.
  • Exemption from re-assessment for Employment & Support Allowance (ESA) is not as expected.            People with life-long or severe disability will only be exempt if they are deemed to be unfit for ‘work-related activity’.              See article.
  • Get the latest on the benefits system.             See Disability news            e.g. Call for action

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

This is the replacement for DLA for people aged 16-65 with a disability or long term health problem.       It has been in the process of being phased in since 2013.

  • Citizens Advice offer a large number of pages about PIP, all neatly arranged to make it easy to find your way around.
  • The National Autistic Society (NAS) has published an series of pages on the new benefit.      They also have a list of related pages.
  • If you want to see what the government has to say about it, you can choose from Overview,  Detail and News.

Universal credit

Contact has produced a page about Universal Credit.        Click icon on the left to view.       They have also launched a campaign about Universal Credit called Counting the cost.        The aim is to stop the cut in benefits for disabled children it represents.        Click icon on the right for details.

They also have a helpline.         There are four ways to get in touch with Contact:                              See Facebook, Twitter & email queries


GAIN logo - thumbnail Please be aware that we, at GAIN, are not qualified to give advice.                     See: disclaimer.