Support for carers

Carers UK

For comprehensive information on a range of benefits to which carers might be entitled, click icon and select which benefit looks interesting.

Carer’s assessments

Carers FIRST have produced  an introduction to carer assessments – click icon on the left to view.        For more detail see the Information hub menu on their website.         First point of contact is the County Council’s Customer Service Centre: 01522 782224

Carers UK has produced a more detailed carer’s assessments guide for adult carers of adults (over 18 years) who are disabled, ill or elderly.         They also offer a factsheet.          It has a chapter about carers of adults.          Click icon on the right to see it.

  • A carer’s assessment is an opportunity to discuss with the local council what support or services you need.
  • Are your needs the result of you providing necessary care?
  • Does your caring role have an effect on you?
  •  Is there, or is there likely to be, a significant impact on your wellbeing?
  • If you, or the person you are looking after, are assessed by the local council/trust as needing support, then you or they have a right to ask for a direct payment instead of having the support arranged by the local council/trust.

For information about Carers Allowance see:  NHS      Government.        The National Autistic Society looks at it more broadly in Benefits and care

Support for carers

Lincolnswhire Council offers a broader range of support for carers.         Click icon to browse.        The people there can help you directly or point you in the right direction as appropriate.


GAIN logo - thumbnailPlease be aware that we, at GAIN, are not qualified to give advice.              See disclaimer.