Education and learning

Contact offers a range of pages that cover education & learning with Special educational needs (SEN).      They set things out clearly.      Click icon to browse.

Early Years

Lincolnshire Council sets out general information under the heading Early years education.       Click icon to browse.      Also:

  • At ages 3-4 ALL children qualify for 15 hours a week free education.      Some may also qualify for free places aged 2.
    See: In brief     Lincolnshire
  • If your you have concerns about your child’s development and he/she is attending nursery then that would be the obvious place to start.
  • ESCO could be another option.      Click icon to find out about it.

Sure Start

It could also be well worth a try making enquiries at the children’s centres nearest to you.       Click icon for Grantham centres or Wider area to find it.

They do not always seem to advertise all their services on-line and selected centres have quite a bit to offer pre-school children with additional needs, so it might be worth making a phone call.

Mainstream school

With mainstream schools, smaller ones may provide a more calm and adaptable environment for pupils with additional needs.

The National Autistic Society has several pages about Education.       Click icon to browse.        In particular one of these pages sets out how to get extra help in mainstream school / college.

Each school should have a Special Educational Needs Co-coordinator, or SENCo, in the UK.      If your you have concerns about your child’s development then your child’s school would be the obvious place to start.

Getting support at school

Contact has a page about extra support in school.      Click icon to view.      The Good schools guide also sets out what support should be made available for children with special needs but no EHC plan.      See:  SEN support.

Diagnosis & school

Getting what your child needs may put parents up against difficulties and obstacles.       Professionals may try to fob you off to begin with suggesting that things might sort themselves out – perhaps partly because they do not see your child at home.      Click icon for some tips and weblinks about diagnosis and school.       In brief:

  • Your child’s GP (family doctor) can to be consulted  for a referral.      And if you think things are dragging on too long for your child’s well-being then the GP might think it appropriate to try to speed things up.
  • The SENCo at your child’s school could alternatively make a referral for an autism assessment.

Loose ends

This page rounds off the basic education topic, with school transport being the most significant item.        Click icon to view.       The pages below offer more in-depth related topics.

Where next?

Special educational needs sets out options with or without an EHC plan.