Autism Spectrum Quotient (AQ)
A quick referral guide for adults with suspected autism who do not have a learning disability.
1. I often notice small sounds when others do not
2. I usually concentrate more on the whole picture, rather than the small details
3. I find it easy to do more than one thing at once
4. If there is an interruption, I can switch back to what I was doing very quickly
5. I find it easy to ‘read between the lines’ when someone is talking to me
6. I know how to tell if someone listening to me is getting bored
7. When I’m reading a story I find it difficult to work out the characters’ intentions
8. I like to collect information about categories of things (e.g. types of car, types of bird, types
of train, types of plant etc)
9. I find it easy to work out what someone is thinking or feeling just by looking at their face
10. I find it difficult to work out people’s intentions
- Only 1 point can be scored for each question.
- Score 1 point for Definitely or Slightly Agree on each of items 1, 7, 8, and 10.
- Score 1 point for Definitely or Slightly Disagree on each of items 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 9.
If the individual scores 6 or above, consider referring them for a specialist diagnostic assessment.
Key reference: Allison C, Auyeung B, and Baron-Cohen S, (2012) Journal of the American Academy
of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry 51(2):202-12.
© SBC/CA/BA/ARC/Cambridge University 1/5/12
(Formatted for mobile phones)